Best MEDITATION FOR EATING DISORDER USA 2021 Eating disorder is a critical mental health condition that has taken around 20 million women and 10 million men under its drastic radar in the United States. This is a psychological condition causing unhealthy eating habits to occur. It usually begins with an obsession with food, body shape, or body weight.
The symptoms of eating disorders include food binges, strict restrictions on food, over-exercising, or purging acts like vomiting. While eating disorders can affect people belonging to any gender at any stage of life, it is reported to be found mostly in adolescents and young women. It has been witnessed that about 13% of youngsters might experience eating disorders at least once at their age of 20.
When recovering from an eating disorder, individuals experience anxiousness and stress, which causes them to react through debilitating behaviours. In this case, meditation for eating disorders can be beneficial as it calms the mind by eliciting relaxation.
Ways to meditate for binge eating disorder
Meditation is all about staying still and focusing on the present moment with all your core. This will allow all the thoughts, sensations, and feelings to pass through your mind. Here are some of the methods of meditation that you can try:
- Guided meditation
Guided meditation is usually the first step in the learning process of how to meditate as it gets difficult for many individuals to sit still and clear their heads. This is an excellent technique that involves listening to someone describe a serene scene and imagining it with the maximum details. Eating disorder therapists either walk through the patient during the process or suggest a place to find such recordings.
Meditation for eating disorders isn’t as easy as it sounds. Staying engaged and following along the process is quite challenging. But with the passage of time, the patient managed to strengthen his mind and develop control which makes it a lot easier for them to switch to a meditative state.
- Mindfulness meditation
Mindfulness meditation can act as a primary aspect for binge eating treatment as it allows people to pacify their minds during stressful periods. This revolves around a technique where people can sit in peace and enable their minds to wander. Individuals need to strengthen their minds to encounter their thoughts, acknowledge them, and let them pass without reacting to them. They have to neutralize their emotions and fear away from self-judgment. Research shows that mindfulness meditation can be beneficial as an intervention for binge eating.
Harvard Health Publications released 4 simple ways through which mindful meditation practices can be incorporated into daily life.
- Start your day with a yoga sun salutation– simple stretching yoga poses can help rejuvenate all your body parts. Just 10-15 minutes of yoga can be supremely beneficial in calling your mind before the hectic routine begins.
- Breathe– while you’re going through the day, in between a school schedule, or completing a task, take five minutes out to check up on your breathing. If you cater to difficult or stressful situations during the day, making you suffer pain, then recognize that moment immediately and catch your steady breath.
- Guided meditation- after you’re done with your day’s rush or completed all the hectic tasks, you must schedule 10-15 minutes before dinner to engage yourself in mindful meditation practice and relax your mind. This will enable you to release all the stress gathered up during the day.
- Body scan before bed –Getting in touch with your body before you set yourself off to bed is important. Taking out a mere 5 minutes for this will help you notice all the points of tension in your body to release all the stress. Centre your thoughts and clear them with utmost focus.
These techniques might seem to take a lot of your time, but it really takes just 15 minutes in the evening. These allow individuals to cater to all the triggering destructive patterns or thoughts.
Depending on the individual’s needs, together with the treatment’s progression, journaling is another technique paired with meditation to help patients recover. Journaling can be vital in addressing your thoughts and feelings during meditation when you don’t have a therapist at hand.
Individuals can write down whatever comes through their minds, especially all the troublesome thoughts. These thoughts render valuable insights that can help people find triggers, identify behaviours, and unravel all the tricky thoughts.
When it comes to meditation for eating disorders, individuals can instantly write down all the emotions, feelings, and thoughts that form patterns to recover from binge eating disorder. As the eating disorder is a significant consequence of stress, keeping a reflective journal throughout your meditation can be supremely helpful.
Additional techniques to incorporate meditation into life
Here are some of the other techniques through which you can try to inculcate meditation into your life.
- Schedule a time in a day: You don’t have to meditate for hours to make meditation for eating disorders effective. You can only take out about ten minutes from your day to reap its benefits. It will be more than enough to appease your thoughts and do the job of alleviating the symptoms.
- Relaxation responses: take meditation and yoga hand in hand. The relaxation responses generated from these will help you in focusing on positive thoughts only.
- Bring a change: if you feel that these meditation techniques’ monotony are dull, try some fresh ones. Mantra, transcendental, mindfulness, and Zen Buddha meditation are interesting and refreshing meditation techniques.
- Self-compassion: while you sit in silence, assess your emotions and try to battle your struggling moments. Treat yourself with kindness and try all the self-soothing techniques.
Meditation is a wonderful way to aware yourself of the present and find acceptance and love even when dealing with struggling moments. This helps to eradicate stress and anxiety from your brain as well as from life. This is severely important in case of an eating disorder as it helps you accept your weight and body shape the way it is, focus on optimism, and live through life happily.